Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Taking Up Space

Scripture Luke 8

He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.

7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

8And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.


Observation

The fig tree is an object lesson compared to the life of a believer. The tree had no fruit and it is compared to a man who has no fruit in his life for the Lord.

Application

Am I a tree without fruit? Do I simply take up space within the body of Christ? Am I indifferent and not bearing fruit?

Lord, my devotions lately have been half hearted. It seems as if nothing is standing out to me in your word and I am going through the motions. Please renew my heart and spirit and give me a new thirst for your word. I don't want to be a tree without any fruit. I want my life to be spiritually healthy, one that is growing and that has much fruit on it.

2 comments:

  1. It is nearly impossible to leave a comment here. That said ...
    I wrote a similar entry in October, "Doing Devotions Alone." Our staff is currently going through a book called "leadership essentials" and in it the author likens spiritual disciplines to the sails of a boat - the don't provide power by themselves, but provide the opportunity when the wind does blow. Although I wasn't (and I'm sure you're not) thinking about quitting my devotions, I appreciated the analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Andy. I appreciate your visits and love reading your posted devotions.

    ReplyDelete