Friday, January 15, 2010

The Last Shall be First

Luke Chapter 14

8 When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;
9 And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.
10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.



Observation

Jesus, in a nutshell, is telling us to remain humble. Do we walk into a gathering expecting royal treatment? Do we feel priveleged and demand only the best? If we are called to step up in posititon then we should do so with humility.

There is such a contrast between the 'privelaged' and unprivelaged' in chapter 14. The Lord told us to not call the rich to feast but to call the poor, lame, blind and maimed. Wow.

Application

Do I feel superior because of my so called 'position'? I don't want to feel that I deserve to be treated a certain way because my husband is the pastor. If I become self righteous in my work for you then I am a hippocrite and a Pharisee. He that is greatest in the kingdom should be the least.

Lord help me be a humble vessel before you. I don't want riches nor do I want position. Let me live humbly before you and check my heart if I be lifted up in pride.

2 comments:

  1. You asked about linking to my devotion blog http://thisdevotion.blogspot.com/and that would be great. I have added add a link to your blog on mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nancy! I look forward to stopping by your blog regularly!

    ReplyDelete