Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Launch Out!

Scripture Luke 5 4-6
4When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down[b] the nets for a catch."
5Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
6When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break.

Observation
Jesus told the disciple to launch out their nets into the water in preparation of receiving a great catch of fish. The disciples did what they did many other times- put their nets into the water. Many times God wants actions from us. Not just the ordinary everyday actions but extra effort that requires sacrifice. That extra push! Maybe it is physical, emotional or even mental.. So many times we can only see the limited picture of a small catch of fish when God wants to fill our nets to overflowing!
Peter did something that is so human- he made an excuse! When we lack the faith to believe it is so easy to make an excuse.
“I am tired, Lord”
“I don’t have the ability to do what you are asking.”
“I don’t have the financial resources to go where you want me to go.”
But God is telling us to launch out into deep waters. It is easy to stay in the shallow safe waters but there is an adventure of faith and blessing waiting for us when we cast our nets into deeper waters!
Application
Do I look only on my limited surroundings or do I expand my vision to what God can see and do? Do I believe that God can do abundantly above and beyond what I can ask or believe?
Prayer
Lord, I don’t want to limit myself and think in the box. I want to see your vision, your expectations and your plan for my life. Lord increase my faith to believe and act.

2 comments:

  1. Peter did the same thing Abram did - he followed God out to deep waters - Abram left everything! Scripture doesn't even record that God gave him a direction to head, just to "leave." These guys have faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very True Andy. If only I could have a measure of that faith!

    ReplyDelete