Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bait and Switch


Scripture Genesis 3:6
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Observation
I might not be getting all that I bargained for when sin is alluring me to partake. Also, stolen Bread is sweeter then if I were to simply eat it without any secrecy and in public. The same is true for many temptations. What is it about the thrill of sin? The heart racing anticipation of things that are outside of Godly boundaries? Adultery might seem sweeter then a real relationship with a spouse inside the bond of marriage. But the end brings much sorrow and hurt that can only be mended with the Lord.

Application
Just as the boundaries that God set for Adam and Eve, the boundaries the Lord have set for me are for my own good. There might be a temporary excitement in desiring, seeking and even fulfilling the lust of my flesh but in the end it brings sorrow and trouble. The need to binge with food is only a temporary satisfaction. The devil is the master of bait and switch. He promises fulfillment but I am left unsatisfied and alone.

Prayer
Lord, I want to serve you and live for you but I find that I am constantly being diverted by things that seem to be more satisfying but in the end leave me with more sorrow and heartache. The fact that the fall of man (and Eve too) was due to the lust of food has really struck a chord in me as I realized it today. Lord I want to treat my body as your temple and eat in a way that is pleasing to you. I don't want gluttony to be a stronghold in my life and I thank you for a fresh page this very moment. Help me to eat in the present and capture each moment as they occur. I want to live for your glory.

Proverbs 10:22
The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment